Abilene was originally established as a stock shipping point, focusing on the areas of agriculture and livestock.
Over time, our city has developed to centralize its economy and has become a state, regional and national hub for education, healthcare, and manufacturing.
Our top employers include:
Higher education institutions in Abilene include:
- Abilene Christian University
- Hardin-Simmons University
- McMurry University
- Texas Tech Health Sciences Center – Abilene
- Cisco College
- Texas State Technical College – Abilene
- Abilene Independent School District (Pre-K through 12th)
- Wylie Independent School District (Pre-K through 12th)
- Abilene Christian School (Pre-K through 12th)
- St. John’s Episcopal School (2yrs through 5th)
- Cornerstone Christian School (Pre-K through 6th)
- The Kenley School (2nd through 8th)
- A Habitat for Learning (Pre-K through 12th)
- Abilene Classical Academy (K through 9th)
Home Schooling Resource
- Mrs. Z’s Performing Arts Studio – Facebook
- Dodge Jones Youth Sports Center – Facebook
- Abilene Hockey
- YMCA of Abilene – Facebok
Songs with Abilene in them:
Abilene – Also sung by Buck Owens, Willie Nelson, Bill Anderson Lynn Anderson, Dave Alvin, Marty Robbing, The Great Unknowns, Roy Drusk, Brothers Four, Bobby Bare, Lighnin’ Hopkins among others.
All My Ex’s Live in Texas – George Strait
A Few Good Rides Away – Brooks & Dunn (Ronnie Dunn born in Coleman, Texas, attended Abilene Christian University ’76 as a psychology major)
Rock & Roll Man – Creed Fisher
Texas On A Saturday Night – Mel Tillis and Willie Nelson
West Texas Highway – Lyle Lovett
Mamma, I’m Alright – Miranda Lambert
Somewhere Far Away – Little Big Town
My Texas – Josh Abbott Band
And many more….
At Blizzard & Zimmerman Attorneys, we support the local efforts to continue to build the economy of this great Texas city.