A major mistake in life should not define you for the rest of your life and it’s possible to apply for Sex Offender deregistration.
If you have rehabilitated your life and are staying out of trouble for a sufficient period of time you have the ability to ask the court to lift the requirement that you register as a sex offender.
We’ll be upfront. Filing out a petition like this takes courage.
It is a step that can close that chapter in your life that does not reflect your true character.
Set Criteria Must Be Met To Be Eligible
Your early termination eligibility depends on whether the offense that caused the registration meets set criteria. There are also certain procedures you must follow.
The criminal defense attorneys of Blizzard and Zimmerman Attorneys are here to help you with the sex offender deregistration process.
You may be eligible to petition the court for a registration exemption if you are registrable because of an Indecency with a Child offense or a Sexual Assault offense and,
(1) at the time of the offense, you were not more than four years older than the victim or intended victim and the victim or intended victim was at least 15 years of age and
(2) the conviction is based solely on the ages of the defendant and the victim or intended victim at the time of the offense.
- It must be a single reportable adjudication or conviction
- the victim was at least 15 years old
- the defendant was not more than 4 years older than the victim
- and the charges are based solely on the ages of the parties.
Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 62.301 describes a process to petition a court for an exemption to register if you qualify.
If you or a loved one has a sex offense on their record, and are interested in learning about having the sex offender registration requirement dropped, reach out to our law firm for a one-on-one confidential consultation with one of our criminal law attorneys.
Successful deregistration does not destroy or remove criminal case records, it only acts to remove your name from the Texas Sex Offender Registry database and remove your legal requirement to continue to register on a public sex offender database. For more info on clearing a criminal record, review this link on Expungement.
Our criminal defense team can assist you with sex offender deregistration here at Blizzard and Zimmerman Attorneys to close that chapter in your life. Call today to schedule a confidential consultation to review your case.