Jacob A. Blizzard
Board Certified in Criminal Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Arrested? Hire Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Jacob Blizzard. Representing individuals accused of any state or federal crime, as well as appeals and post-conviction writs of habeas corpus.
Mark of Excellence
Board Certification is a mark of excellence and a distinguishing accomplishment. Within the Texas legal community, Board Certification means an attorney has substantial, relevant experience in a select field of law as well as demonstrated,
and tested, special competence in that area of law.
A Distinguished Few
Mr. Blizzard is 1 of only 4 Criminal Law Board Certified attorneys in Taylor County. As of the 2016 certification year, there were 255 attorneys practicing in Taylor county, and there are only 4 Board Certified in criminal law. Less than 2% of the attorneys in Taylor County. In Texas, there are more than 100,000 attorneys licensed to practice in Texas, while only 7,450 are Board Certified.
Mr. Blizzard regularly practices in the areas of criminal defense, criminal appeals, and personal injury. He is valued by his clients for taking the time needed to give personal attention to their legal issues. Mr. Blizzard’s knowledge and experience are applied to each client’s case. He invests the time and effort that each client deserves to look at each situation with care to conduct an in depth analysis of the facts and legal issues involved.
Mr. Blizzard knows that clients want an attorney on their side who cares about their issues. Knowing how important personal attention is to a case, Mr. Blizzard has made it his personal commitment to dedicate his practice to helping individuals on an individual level, giving personal attention to personal legal needs.
Mr. Blizzard has tried numerous jury trials on many issues of criminal law and civil cases. Mr. Blizzard is dedicated to developing a winning strategy in every case to achieve the best possible outcome for each case and client. In his practice Mr. Blizzard has represented clients in criminal cases at all levels from the lowest Class C traffic tickets to first degree felonies involving serious allegations like drug possession with intent to deliver, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, sexual assault, and murder.
Mr. Blizzard also has authored numerous briefs in State and Federal Courts of Appeals. This practice has included direct appeal following a conviction, petition for discretionary review to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, and post-conviction writs of habeas corpus under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure 11.07. Mr. Blizzard has also argued his cases in oral argument before the Court of Appeals.
Prior to becoming a founding partner at Blizzard & Zimmerman, Mr. Blizzard:
- Practiced as solo practitioner under the name The Blizzard Law Firm, also in Abilene, Texas
- Practiced as the managing partner of Parker & Blizzard, P.L.L.C. in a partnership with Quanah Parker
- Worked in an insurance defense law firm representing large national insurance companies
- Worked in criminal prosecution
- Worked with the Attorney General of Texas, Child Support Division
- Worked with the U.S. Attorney’s Office
Texas Tech University School of Law
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, cum laude
- Dean’s List, four semesters
- Participant in Criminal Prosecution Clinic
- Articles Editor, Administrative Law Journal
University of Houston Bachelor of Arts
Political Science / Economics
Howard Payne University
Member of Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors College
Awards, Memberships, & Publications
Professional Awards and Recognition:
- 2016 Bob Black Bar Leaders Award awarded by Texas Tech University School of Law
- 2016 Board Certification in Criminal Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Law School Awards:
- American Jurisprudence Award in Civil Rights Law
- American Jurisprudence Award in Business Entities
- American Jurisprudence Award in Supreme Court Seminar
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Big Country Criminal Defense Lawyers Assoc., Treasurer 2014, Vice President 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Abilene Young Lawyers Association, President 2015
- Jacob A. Blizzard, Where have all the Taxes Gone: Creating and Administering a Working Education System Through Universal Vouchers, 13 Tex. Tech. Admin. L.J. 209 (2012).
- Jacob Blizzard, More Party Talk: Answers to Everyday Legal Questions for Texas Lawyers. Austin, TX: State Bar of Texas, 2016.
- Frequent featured speaker for Texas Law Shield on various topics, including Essential Gun Law, Self-Defense: When you can legally use force, Legislative updates on self defense law and gun law
- Featured on Abilene news broadcasts for KTXS and KTAB speaking about his cases and legal consultant on current events or news stories in the Big Country